This website uses cookies. They are used to ensure that you can use this website and it's services smoothly. In addition, we use cookies to understand how our website and services are being used. By continuing to browse the site, you are deemed to have agreed to our use of cookies.

Japanese Education System

Q:Do Japanese language schools provide formal education?

A:Among institutions which teach Japanese language to those who come to Japan primarily for language learning, the Ministry of Justice publishes in its public notice a list of Japanese language schools which are allowed to accept foreign students with student visa. The list is available for download here (in Japanese).

The Japanese language schools on the list are either Specialized Training Colleges, Miscellaneous Schools or other institutions with equivalent facilities and structures. Some language schools are Professional Training Colleges (i.e. Specialized Training Colleges offering Post-Secondary Courses) and therefore higher education institutions under the Tokyo Convention.

Also, some Japanese language schools other than Professional Training Colleges offer college preparatory courses designated by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. The study at such courses which prepares for entering universities in Japan are accepted as formal education.