- Questions List: Assessment of Admission Qualifications (in general)
- Questions List: Japanese Education System
- Questions List: Foreign Credential Evaluations (in general)
- Questions List: Foreign Credential Evaluations (by country/region)
- Questions List: About The Center and This Website
NIC in Recognition
About The Center and This Website
Q: What is the role of National Information Center for Academic Recognition Japan in terms of recognition of higher education qualifications?
A:The Center’s role is to provide trustworthy information so that higher education institutions in Japan are able to make prompt decision regarding recognition of foreign higher education qualifications.
In Japan, the competent recognition authorities* as defined in UNESCO’s Tokyo Convention are the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, other related government ministries and agencies which are responsible for their higher education institutions, and higher education institutions themselves.
*Competent recognition authority means a governmental or non-governmental body officially authorized by government with making decisions on the recognition of foreign qualifications.
- In case of assessments of qualifications for applicants to higher education institutions under the School Education Act, the competent recognition authority is the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
- In case of assessments of qualifications for applicants to Educational Institutions Operated by Government Ministries and Agencies under the relevant government regulation, the competent recognition authority is each Ministry responsible for the institution.
- In case of individual admission qualifications assessment and recognition of credits, the competent recognition authority is each higher education institution.