Status of Certified Evaluation and Accreditation

Japanese Education System

Q: I would like to know whether a university/College of Technology (KOSEN) in Japan has accreditation. How can I obtain this information?

A: Universities and Colleges of Technology (KOSEN) in Japan are established with the approval of the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). Under the Certified Evaluation and Accreditation (CEA) system introduced in 2004, institutions approved for establishment are required to undergo periodic comprehensive evaluations on the status of their educational and research activities, etc., conducted by CEA Organizations certified by the Minister of MEXT. Universities, Professional and Vocational Universities (PVUs), junior colleges, Professional and Vocational Junior Colleges (PVJCs), and Colleges of Technology (KOSEN) must undergo CEA at the institution level (so-called ‘institutional CEA’) once within every seven years. PVUs, PVJCs, and universities which have Professional Graduate Schools must undergo CEA focused on characteristics specific to each field of study (so-called ‘CEA by academic discipline’) once within every five years.

The results of CEA conducted by organizations that are members of the Japan Network of Certified Evaluation and Accreditation Agencies (JNCEAA) are published on the JNCEAA website. You can also access the relevant JNCEAA pages via the “Links and Other Information > Certified Evaluation and Accreditation” section located at the bottom of individual institution’s page on NIC-Japan website. However, depending on the timing of your visit to the site, the information may not be up-to-date. Therefore, for the latest information, please refer to the information published on the websites of the CEA Organizations that conducted the respective evaluations.

<Related Pages>
Quality Assurance System

<Related Q&A>
Q: Are all the higher education institutions listed on this website recognized or accredited in Japan?
Q: Is the United Nations University a Japanese university?