This website uses cookies. They are used to ensure that you can use this website and it's services smoothly. In addition, we use cookies to understand how our website and services are being used. By continuing to browse the site, you are deemed to have agreed to our use of cookies.

Japanese Education System

Q:What kind of documents are issued when one graduates from an education institution in Japan?

A:Generally speaking, a graduate receives a certificate called sotsugyo-shosho (卒業証書) or shuryo-shosho (修了証書) which certifies the person’s completion of a program. Universities, instead, may issue gakuiki (学位記). These certificates are issued only once and usually unable to be re-issued.

Meanwhile, graduates use sotsugyo-shomeisho (卒業証明書) or shuryo-shomeisho (修了証明書) along with a transcript (成績証明書) when applying for further study or employment. These certificates are typically issued on paper for in-person pickup at the institution and many copies as needed are generally issued.

Some universities make it available to obtain them at convenience stores across Japan.