This website uses cookies. They are used to ensure that you can use this website and it's services smoothly. In addition, we use cookies to understand how our website and services are being used. By continuing to browse the site, you are deemed to have agreed to our use of cookies.

Japanese Education System

Q:What is the difference between Associate degree (tankidaigakushi, 短期大学士) and Associate (jungakushi, 準学士) both of which are issued by junior colleges?

A:Since July 1991, junior colleges had awarded the title of Associate to their graduates. From October 2005 onwards, the award has been changed to Associate degrees.

According to the Japanese legislation, Associates given to junior college graduates are equivalent to Associate degrees (Article 3, Supplementary Provisions, School Education Act) (in Japanese only).

Please note that Associates are also awarded to graduates of Colleges of Technology.