This website uses cookies. They are used to ensure that you can use this website and it's services smoothly. In addition, we use cookies to understand how our website and services are being used. By continuing to browse the site, you are deemed to have agreed to our use of cookies.

Foreign Credential Evaluations (in general)

Q: For a country where it takes 10 years to complete its elementary and secondary education, does one have to also complete a preparatory education course for 2 years or longer in order to be admitted to a university in Japan?

A: After completing a preparatory education course for a year, one can be admitted to a university in Japan. There is no minimum duration for education at schools in foreign countries corresponding to upper secondary schools or a designated preparatory education course. Thus, for the case in question, the applicant can be admitted to a university in Japan by completing both a 10-year school education and the preparatory course for a year.

(The content of this Q & A is quoted from the University Admission Qualifications Guide written by University Promotion Division, Higher Education Bureau of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. NIAD-QE produced this English translation.)