Preparatory Education Course (2)

Foreign Credential Evaluations (in general)

Q: If a person drops out from a school in his/her final grade in a country where it takes 12 years to complete the elementary and secondary education, can s/he be admitted to a university in Japan by completing a preparatory education course designated by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology?

A: No.

The designated preparatory education courses provide those who have completed school education in less than 12 years with Japanese language and other education necessary to access and consequently fulfill the admission qualification to universities in Japan.

In the case in question, the person has not completed the school education in their home country and therefore cannot obtain the admission qualification even if s/he finishes a designated preparatory education course.

(The content of this Q & A is quoted from the University Admission Qualifications Guide written by University Promotion Division, Higher Education Bureau of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. NIAD-QE produced this English translation.)