This website uses cookies. They are used to ensure that you can use this website and it's services smoothly. In addition, we use cookies to understand how our website and services are being used. By continuing to browse the site, you are deemed to have agreed to our use of cookies.

Foreign Credential Evaluations (in general)

Q: Can a 17-year-old person who has completed two years of foreign upper secondary school after skipping a grade be admitted to a university in Japan if the total duration of schooling is 11 years?

A: Yes. “Persons who have completed 12 years of school education in foreign countries” are those who have completed the 12th year of authorized school education in a foreign country. Since this can be interpreted to apply to a person who completed such education in a duration of less than 12 years by skipping a grade, s/he can be admitted to a university in Japan.

(The content of this Q & A is quoted from the University Admission Qualifications Guide written by University Promotion Division, Higher Education Bureau of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. NIAD-QE produced this English translation.)