This website uses cookies. They are used to ensure that you can use this website and it's services smoothly. In addition, we use cookies to understand how our website and services are being used. By continuing to browse the site, you are deemed to have agreed to our use of cookies.

Foreign Credential Evaluations (in general)

Q: Can we transfer a student to the first year in our university in Japan if s/he completed all 11 years of elementary and secondary education in their home country, then proceeded but then abandoned a university program during the first year in a foreign country?

A: No.

Each university is responsible for admitting transfer students from other universities in the middle of an academic year.

Although not stated in legislation, students from overseas universities could be transferred to a Japanese university.

However, for a person who has already withdrew from a university, s/he can't be admitted to the first year in a university as it is not a case of transfer.

(The content of this Q & A is quoted from the University Admission Qualifications Guide written by University Promotion Division, Higher Education Bureau of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. NIAD-QE produced this English translation.)