This website uses cookies. They are used to ensure that you can use this website and it's services smoothly. In addition, we use cookies to understand how our website and services are being used. By continuing to browse the site, you are deemed to have agreed to our use of cookies.


Japanese Education System

Q: What kind of documents are issued when one graduates from an education institution in Japan?

Q: I have a question about verifying the authenticity of a certificate of graduation issued by a Japanese higher education institution. Who should I ask?

Q: Our institution received a graduation certificate from an applicant issued by a university (undergraduate program) in Japan that had no indication whether a Bachelor’s degree had been awarded upon graduation. How do we confirm whether the person has obtained a Bachelor’s degree?

Q: What is the difference between Associate degree (tankidaigakushi, 短期大学士) and Associate (jungakushi, 準学士) both of which are issued by junior colleges?

Q: What is the difference between Advanced Diploma and Bachelor’s degree? Is a holder of an Advanced Diploma eligible to apply for admission to postgraduate education in Japan?

Q: Having completed study at Educational Institutions Operated by Government Ministries and Agencies, is a person with a Bachelor’s degree awarded by National Institution for Academic Degrees and Quality Enhancement of Higher Education (NIAD-QE) based on its own examination deemed to have admission qualification to graduate schools, with a caveat that the educational institution is not one of the higher education institutions under the Tokyo Convention?

Q: Can a person in Japan obtain an educational qualification by self-study and without attending a school?

Q: I would like to know whether a particular higher education institution is a recognized Japanese higher education institution and, if so, when it was recognized.

Q: I would like to know whether a university/College of Technology in Japan has accreditation. How can I obtain this information?

Q: Do Japanese language schools provide formal education?

Q: Is the United Nations University a Japanese university?